Cleo at the Redbury—located directly across the street from the world famous Capital Music Records building in the heart of Hollywood—has quickly become my favorite restaurant for its energized ambiance, people, and of course, food. Because of this, friends and I have become weekly regulars to this hot spot.
Cleo’s hospitality starts before we even walk in, when we are greeted by valets Saco, Sonte and Soci, who also know us by name. Once in, we sidle up to the bar and unwind with a glass of Pinot Noir, saying hello to Darren and Elvis, the friendly bar staff. When the mood calls for cocktails, we’ll get something like the Vinebury: vodka with elderflower liqueur, made more delicious with additions of crushed basil, cucumber, serrano and fresh lemon.
When it’s time for food, we’ve rounded up a list of our few favorites to round out the perfect meal:
- The Hummus with Tahini accompanied by a whole banana pepper on the side (tip: ask for extra peppers for even more kick!)
- Cucumbers & Yogurt dip
- Cauliflower, Vadouvan, Cashews
- Grilled Octopus with Celery, crushed potatoes, lemon vinaigrette
- Seasonal Mushroom Flatbread with Gruyere, Fresno chili, wilted arugula
- Ravioli with fresh farmer’s cheese, brown butter, marjoram and a soft boiled egg in the center
- Grilled Daurade (caught off the Atlantic coast of my native France!)
- Chocolate fondant with bananas (tip: it’s not on the menu, but that doesn’t mean you can’t indulge!)
Natacha Mannhart grew up in the Alsace region of France, graduated from Le Cordon Bleu in Paris, and has worked at 5-star hotels and restaurants around France, London and LA. She is available to consult on food-related companies and restaurants.