Having a great poker face is as important as knowing how to play your cards right. But not everyone can expertly pull off the art of bluffing, so we’ve rounded up a few pointers from the pros. Here, our guide to getting your poker face on.
- Let’s start with the obvious: don’t let your emotions show in your expression. Clear your mind and maintain an easy-going demeanor. If you need a distraction, stare at a point in your opponent’s eyes, or try chewing on an imaginary piece of gum. Whatever you need to do to keep calm, cool, collected.
- Carry on a conversation normally. When you’re betting and talking, it’s easy to tell how someone is feeling by their tone, especially if their voice fluctuates. Keeping up some small talk will help hide your excitement over those trip Aces in your hand.
- Be aggressive! When it comes down to you and someone else, psych them out. Have a mischievous gleam in your eye and an “it’s on” expression. Let your eyes do the talking.
- Study your opponent. Someone sitting with palms up and relaxed is more likely to be open and honest; someone with clenched fists with palms facing down, is more likely to be dishonest (watch out for these ones!).
- Don’t play with people wearing sunglasses. They’re too hard to read, and it’s just not a good look.
- Practice makes perfect! Test out all of the above with friends first, before betting the house at the casino.
Once you’ve mastered the art of bluffing, bring your best poker face to SLS Las Vegas when we open August 23rd. In the meantime, feel free to liberally apply these tips to other scenarios, like telling your boss you have to leave early to go to the doctor – also known as the beach!
You must be at least 21 years old to consume alcoholic beverages, gamble, or book a hotel room at SLS Las Vegas. SLS Las Vegas supports responsible gambling. Have a gambling problem? Please call 1-800-522-4700.