Every year the art world masses descend upon South Beach for the week long extravaganza that is Art Basel Miami Beach. For art aficionados it’s a cultural circus with more openings, dinners, parties, fairs, and festivities than one person can possibly handle. And that’s what makes it so fun. The festivities kick off today and run through Sunday, Dec 6th. If you’re heading to Miami, here are five things not to be missed during the week:
- All throughout SLS South Beach visitors will be privy to the work of California-based, Burning-man favorite, art star Laura Kimpton. She’ll have several sculptures and mixed media works placed around the property with the big eye-catcher being “She’s Got Wings”—a massive collage that wraps the facade of the hotel.
- If you thought you’ve seen everything by the prolific Andy Warhol, you’re in for a treat in Sam’s lounge, above The Bazaar by José Andrés, where four never-before-seen pieces by the Pop artist will be on view. Loaned from the personal collection of gallerist Rudolf Budja, the works can be seen by appointment only.
- Jared Ryan Shaw does not shy away from color. The actor turned artist known as J. Open HeART will be showing a series of splatter-painted style artworks, using his signature “soul flow” technique. Check them out at Katsuya & Hotel Pool Deck.
- From December 1 through December 6, visitors will be privy to a number of artwork and jewelry items at SLS South Beach’s retail Pop-up shops by the pool. Think colorful home accessories, edgy bracelets, and artwork by Laura Kimpton.
- At The Bazaar by José Andrés, famed Spanish artist Africa Aycart will show her portraits of icons as diverse as Steve Jobs, Miami legend Gloria Estefan, and Andrés himself. The exhibition entitled “It’s All Up to You” kicks off Monday, November 30 and runs for a week.