Even with Labor Day coming up, summer is never really over in sizzling South Beach. That’s something the 5-foot tall powerhouse DJ YSL can attest to. One of Miami’s most sought after DJs, YSL is a Hyde Beach resident DJ where she can be found playing her unique mix of music that bridges the gap “between commercial and cool.” Here, she tells us how to beat the heat this Labor Day, and what to listen to while doing so. Her tips will come in handy this Saturday at Hyde Beach Swim Club where she’ll be playing alongside the EC Twins—so it’s guaranteed to be hot.
Stay Cool in the Miami Heat:
- Ice Cream at Azucar: Located in Little Havana, this small ice cream parlor is as authentic as it gets. It’s the only place you’ll find exclusive tropical and Cuban flavors like Café Con Leche, Caramel Flan, and their signature “Miami” flavor Abuela Maria (if you know you know…)
- Take a Dip at The Standard’s Ice Plunge: Sweat out both bad vibes and toxins in the hammam and end with a brave dip in the ice-cold Arctic plunge. Yes, the hotel is “members-only,” but you can either buy a guest pass for the day or do what I do and ask to be a member’s plus one!
- Cruise North for Beachside Cocktails: Not many places are worth crossing border lines for, but the new Hyde Beach Kitchen & Cocktails in Hallandale is worth the drive. This new oceanfront beach club has it all… scenery, snacks and the best spicy ginger mojito outside the 305.
- Day at the Museum:PAMM features contemporary art on all levels of this modern (and fully air-conditioned) museum. Purchase a yearly —you’ll not only support the arts but get year round invites to exclusive events and discounts to the museum’s restaurant Verde. Order a bottle of rosé for the day and soak in the unobstructed views of Biscayne Bay.
- Swim Club at Hyde Beach: Sometimes a dive into the pool isn’t enough to cool you off…Luckily Hyde Beach has you covered every Saturday with its weekly pool party. I, along with guest DJs, keep you dancing with a party soundtrack while the staff keeps you HYDErated with random champagne sprays at pretty much all hours of the day!