Chef Chris Crary knows a thing or two about multi-tasking. The Top Chef alum is at the helm of HYDE Sunset Kitchen + Cocktails, and Executive Chef of sbe Events and Catering. Which leaves us wondering, when does he eat? But we’ll get to that later. Chef Chris will be producing all the mouthwatering fare for the holiday parties at sbe’s nightlife venues, so we caught up with him to find out what catering trends we should try this holiday season, when entertaining at home.
- Keep it Fun: Try creating a communal “table salad,” which is a large salad built on butcher paper and placed on the table.
- Keep it Interesting: Everyone knows what to expect from a cocktail party or buffet. To do something different, think outside the box with presentations by using anything you can to plate on. I like to use tiles, tree trunks and bread loafs for creative tray-pass receptions.
- Keep it Interactive: Take a simple, classic dessert or snack, and make it into a “station,” or an event. It then becomes the topic of conversation, and gives guests something to do and take photos of.
- Keep it Fresh: Try to stay with things in season. They are better for you at their peak time of year and are more flavorful and easier to find.
- Keep it Simple: Don’t over think it if you’re entertaining at home. It should be quick and easy to clean up so you can spend more time with your family and friends.